Benefits of RCC construction over brick and mortar buildings
Feb-09-2018 Post / benefits-of-rcc-construction-over-brick-and-mortar-buildings
Benefits of RCC construction over brick and mortar buildingsTMT Steel Rods
It is the 21st century, and RCC constructions have replaced traditional brick and mortar style of buildings for most constructions. RCC stands for Reinforced Cement Concrete, which has steel cores, around which the cement-concrete matrix is poured. Bricks and mortar constructions are made with using bricks fixed to a mixture of cement, sand and water through masonry. Due to the vast technological difference in these building techniques, RCC holds obvious utilitarian profit over mortar based brickworks.
Here are a few advantages of using RCC as a building material over brick and mortar constructions:
- Load bearing path and capacity: RCC constructions have a longer load bearing path due to its strong Steel core while the brick structures lack this strength. When the load is multiplied for construction of higher stories, or during seismic activity, RCC constructions are practically better resilient due to their strength. This strength is multiplied due to high-quality TMT Steel rods that reinforce the cement concrete mixture. Even blocks survive better than the bricks. The mortar has to be replaced in every 5-10 years depending on exposure to moisture, loads and impacts. The RCC constructions can thus bear the loads for a large number of stories, compared to brickworks due to high load-bearing capacity.
- Versatile Structures: The actual size of a construction is measured by the square inch area of the indoor rooms. The columns bear most of the weight, so it’s possible to minimize the number of walls in RCC, and even large halls or auditoriums are effortlessly constructed. Brickworks needs walls that bear their loads and thus results in smaller rooms’ size. Developments in lifestyle choices, construction industry, and commercial sector have resulted in preference to RCC for the same benefit of larger spaces and customized structures.
- The depth of foundation: Brickworks need deeper trenches as a foundation to achieve better stability for their structures. RCC need lesser excavation for inserting TMT steel rods as reinforcements are over the ground, with a concrete cement mixture. This is because of the superior grip of TMT rods over concrete, then mortar has over brick. The lower brickworks also degrade over time, resulting in weaker bases and eventual failures.
- Costs: Brickworks are cheaper compared to RCC if constructed for 2 stories or less. But overall costs including skilled labour, material costs, and wall areas result in an expensive construction for brick and mortar. The longevity of the RCC buildings makes them a cost-effective option in the long run.
- Durable and Reliable: With the sturdiness of the Steel centre, RCC forms stronger bonds that stand strong during a catastrophe or tragic calamities. Brick and mortar structures have the deficit of a stronger core and bond that can withstand strong forces, therefore making them less reliable. RCC constructions are therefore more durable and reliable for life and property.
These are few of the many reasons why RCC constructions are slowly rendering brickworks extinct and only used for aesthetic appeal. The RCC is the future of construction technology, with a rapidly transforming industry to backbone its promises. India’s construction industry is a large contributor to its rising GDP and economy, and exports steel, cement, finished products, etc. Agni Steels’ is a proud manufacturer of high-quality TMT Steel rods and rebars, to strengthen the RCC constructions throughout South India. We hope to continue our service of providing strong steel bars at competitive prices for our valued customers.